Broadening my horizons
Ok, so in January and February, I ran shop contests. It was fun, and I like to think by doing so I got a few new people interested in sewing for dolls who wouldn’t have tried it otherwise.
Now it’s March, and I need to work on another goal. This month, I’m going to work on expanding my web presence by trying to offer patterns somewhere other than Etsy, which most non-crafty people have never heard of, and a lot of crafty people don’t use.
I would love to build a simple e-delivery shop for my website where people don’t have to sign up with usernames and passwords and can just click “Buy”, pay, and be able to download their patterns. I love Etsy’s e-delivery’s system’s ability to recognize when a pattern is downloaded so people can’t pretend they never got them. While my coding ability would allow me to set up a shop, the e-delivery thing is a bit out of my experience (for now) so I am looking into alternatives.
So far, the best option seems to be Ebay. I don’t really like Ebay. In fact, I rather despise it.
- Ebay does NOT allow digital sales, so sales would have to be at least somewhat print-based with delivery confirmation
- When I’m doing 12-14 hour work days, I can’t be running to the post office. I also can’t anticipate my work schedule, so I don’t know when those days will be
- Ebay is full of assholes
- Ebay is full of scammers
- Ebay offers next to no protection from the two above issues
- Ebay’s new international shipping thing
- Lack of delivery confirmation options below priority with international shipping
Benefits of using Ebay:
- Wide audience
- Viable solution to people who want printed patterns instead of digital ones
- …there’s got to be something else, and I just can’t think of it.
So in the next few days, I’m going to set up an Ebay shop. I’m not sure if I will be able to offer international options, and patterns WILL be slightly more expensive, to cover printing costs (I’m thinking 3.50-4.00, but I need to run calculations on my printer’s cost-per-page as most pattern packs are between 3-5 pages long).
But if anyone has any other suggestions about websites or digital sales services, I would love to hear about them!