Another two pattern week! I can’t keep this up, so don’t expect two more next week ^^; Ok, so this week I knew pretty early on that Curvy dolls would have to have their own pattern, but I did it anyway because I didn’t want to leave them out. Since I did the original Salwar & Angarkha patterns in PS size, I’ve gotten a lot of really touching messages about how happy people are are to have that pattern exist, and I didn’t want to exclude the curvy gals.
Despite that, I’m half expecting to get flamed for putting Jasmine in a non-middle-eastern outfit anyway. Which will be hilarious, because in the original Arabian Nights, Aladdin took place in China.
Related topic: wow is it hard to find dolls that look even vaguely Indian! Mattel finally started to make AA dolls that don’t look utterly Anglo except for a slightly flatter nose, but they still have a LONG way to go to include more diverse facial features. Jasmine is the only doll I’ve ever seen with a downturned nose. Which should be a crime. I <3 downturned noses. I’m a big fan of noses in general. I think they add a ton of character to a face. Athena would not look nearly as regal and badass if she had a little upturned snub thing.
But back to the pattern! Here are some of my favorite outfits from my fashion research, if you want someinspiration. All of them use either a solid colored, or simple geometric pattern base with embroidery and trim and would be pretty easy to make something similar with stuff you can find at your local fabric store. I don’t have a sewing machine that embroiders, and I didn’t have time to do any by hand, but I did pick up some metallic thread and used some of the ornamental stitches on my machine.
Recently I asked people what kind of patterns they’d like to see on the Facebook page. There were a lot of requests for jackets (and for 1/3 dolls, which is why I did that size last week), so I tried to see what I could do to accommodate! As an unexpected result, I ended up with TWO patterns for this week:
I know, I said I wasn’t doing those anymore. However, I never said I wasn’t doing unisex patterns anymore! When I started out this pattern, I thought I’d be able to do that: Back when I did the Letter Jacket/Hoodie pattern, it worked equally well on guys and gals. But that was using stretchy jersey fabric to make clothes that aren’t supposed to look especially tailored. The boy patterns technically fit the girls (not quite so well vice versa), but they don’t look right. If I wanted to make a bunch of jacket patterns that really looked good on boys and girls, I’d have to make pattern sets for boys and girls. I didn’t realize this until Thursday morning or so, which suddenly tacked on an extra day or so of work late in the week, which is why instead of publishing on Friday morning like usual, I pulled about 12 hours on Thursday, Friday morning, and then published mid Friday.
(And a couple of extra hours setting up this shot. I couldn’t help myself)
So you can pick that up along with the Girl Jacket pattern in the shop! It comes in 3 different styles with 2 different lengths. Enjoy 🙂
This pattern has been pretty popular in the other sizes I’ve done it in: It’s quick, it’s versatile, and it’s a lot of fun. There’s something about being able to mix and match looks, and the fact that you don’t have to make a whole new dress for each look is a huge time saver!
Variations for size in this pattern include bust size (self explanatory) and thigh gap (!?!!) Yeah, I was pretty surprised too! But look at the comparison chart I did:
See, the Dollfie Dream Sister? Her thighs are wider apart than her hips for some reason. Not the kind of measurement a girl usually takes, you know? They can pivot inward so the knees get slightly closer together, but those upper thighs man, they are just super wide and stay that way >.< So to make sure clothes fit her, a variation was included that makes the skirt part below the hips a little wider. I want clothes made from my patterns to fit ALL THE DOLLS! (or at least as many as possible)
I hope you enjoy it! The core dress only takes about 15 minutes to sew up: about as fast and easy as a sock dress, but infinitely classier 🙂
Puddles was originally made as a donation to PUDDLE, the US Pullip convention. She was raffled off and won by a gal I know, who had her for a couple of years and then when she was planning to sell her, I bought her back because I love this little gal! She is one of 2 dolls out of my entire collection that has the honor of sitting on my desk.
And she’s still there!
If this seems like a kind of random post, well, yeah, it is. That’s because her head is also up for sale in a custom lot on Ebay. Except it isn’t, because that’s not her. It’s a copy someone else made. And it’s not exactly cool that someone made a copy of the doll, but since it’s only showing up now on Ebay as a head (when I made the original like 7 years ago), I think it’s pretty safe to assume it’s a copy someone made and cherished for a long time. It’s a bit different than someone making a copy to sell. One’s an act of love, and the other’s just greed.
I contacted the seller and asked her to clarify that she is not me and the head is not Puddles, so as long as she does that I’m cool with it.